30 Awesome Jobs For Nomads. Earn Your Freedom Online.
It is estimated there are 40 million nomads in the world today and .5% are digitally enhanced. But,don’t confuse them with hobos and vagrants.
These people are cashed up and on the move out of choice, seeking adventure and escape from the common rat race. They cruise around in RV’s and yachts, planes. Some appear to be barefoot drifters but they actually have full control over their work/life balance.
Mostly they are entrepreneurs with a passion for travel and they are willing to spend their money on interesting experiences, wherever in the world it may take them.
Modern nomads across the planet.
They are an elusive mob because of their freedom. Mostly they work alone at any location or any time of day or night. Some travel in family groups or couples. They are of all ages and diversity in country, language, education and skill sets.
When the modern nomad is at work online they utilise the latest internet technology and equipment to earn a living. They are defined by a portable office and no fixed address.
I have listed some portable businesses that are best suited to nomads ie; no stock, no warehouse. You need to be able to work independently and with self discipline because no one is going to write your roster. Working nomads often combine a couple of online occupations, creating multi strand incomes.
- Some nomads still work for an employer, but from a remote location
Instead of working at the company office, they can literally be in a different country if the job requires everything to be handled by email and phone. Surveys of remote workers and their employers are citing 25-30% increase in efficiency, mostly attributed to the removal of simple office distractions. Job satisfaction and motivation is heightened. Plus they are free from office politics and the daily commute.
- Virtual assistants provide a professional office administration service to businesses via Skype, email and conference calls. They can manage a number of clients simultaneously without meeting them in person, or even being in the same country.
- Virtual web master, virtual content writer and virtual marketing assistants manage aspects of company websites. They are responsible for keeping websites fresh and relevant and appealing to a targeted audience. They write and update articles, blogs and images. They link scheduled marketing systems to expand the reach of a business to social media platforms. They can administer marketing campaigns using mammoth networks like Google, Yahoo and Bing.
An example is the remote web master who manages a website focussed on issues relating to diabetes. Once a week she updates the site with news items, monitors the forum, and mediates comments. She charges a fixed fee for her service and the institute that owns the website doesn’t have to do much more than pay. Win ,win.
- Document translators, Proofreaders and Resume writers all work from a mobile office utilising the current internet technology and a website or an agency.
- Website designers are engaged in the production and maintenance of websites involving graphic design, interface design, authoring and coding. Their focus is on a positive user experience and some of them branch out to search engine optimisation (SEO) to make the website rank high in a related internet search.
- Freelance travel writer and Freelance Photographers by necessity take their office with them. They submit quality articles and unique images to the print an online media. They are adept at targeting their articles to a particular audience and also work with agencies who match niche to demographic. . .seller to buyer. These writers understand how to rework the same story from different angles to make it appeal to a variety of readers/ buyers/advertisers.
- A professional photographer is a visual recorder of the history of the world and beyond. Captured images of important events taken ‘as it happens’ are well rewarded financially. Buyers of photography exist in popular media, industry journals, marketing collateral, entertainment, arts and science . They document and influence people, products and trends. Commercial portraiture and wedding photography is big business. Consumers are insatiable when it comes to fresh images and new, quality content.You can also simply sell your photos and copy rights to a stock photo gallery or agent.
- Professional Blogger makes money from their sponsors. Success is measured by the number of followers and hits to your blog. When a blogger generates a large following, sponsors want to tap into their influence on those readers. The activity is usually in the form of a positive written review of products or services such as airlines, hotels, tour operators. The blogger is always required to experience the service at the sponsor’s expense plus meals, accommodation and travel expenses FOC, yes, Free Of Charge.
Payment is generally related to the number of followers and can be around $1,300US per day for a popular blogger. A positive review can cause dramatic sales increase for the sponsor.
Occasionally, tourism campaigns pay fantastic money to professional bloggers to tell their experience to the world. A good example is the ‘Best Job in the World’ campaign run by Tourism Queensland, Australia. They ran a world wide competition for a caretaker job on an island in the Great Barrier Reef. It involved cleaning the pool, feeding the fish, walking the dog…and to blog once a week about exploring the islands and his adventures. That job paid the winner $8,800.US per month plus all expenses.
- Domain Flipping or Domain Name buying and selling. Domain names such as TheCashedUpNomad.com are registered to the owner, me. There are many names unregistered, unwanted, expired and not renewed that might be valuable to someone else. If you buy low and sell higher, you have made a profit, a successful flip. Domain names can sell for thousands of dollars. You need some capital to play this game and a nose for marketing gold nuggets.
- Work online through an agency.
Here is some of the hires;
Android Developer… Bookkeeper … Content Writer … Copywriter … Customer Service Reps …Email Marketing Consultant … Excel Expert … Facebook Marketer … Graphic designer … iOS Developer … Instagram Marketer … Python Developer … Sales Consultant … SEO Expert … Social Media Consultant … Technical Writer … UX Designer … WordPress Developer.
- Affiliate Marketer is a website owner who is an authority on their particular subject or niche or is passionate on their field. They provide information to their audience and offer links to related products and services. They make money by commission on sales.
Affiliate’s business activity is promoting and reviewing products or services of companies they are affiliated with. They research and create content using keywords and other SEO methods to rank high in Google and other search engines . Affiliate networks such as Commission Junction, Clickbank, Amazon and ShareaSale provide the links to affiliates to promote products in their niche. There are Private Affiliate programs too, that can be less competitive and perhaps more lucrative.
Consider the vastness of the online market.
Working for a commission can be substantial and with a website, you do the work once but it is seen over and over for years to come. This is how recurring, passive income is established.
Alternatively, larger commission on big ticket items with a lower sales volume can also earn a good income. Success in this industry depends getting traffic through your trusted website and helping the customer make an informed purchase. Read how the super affiliates go about marketing.
Stay tuned to TheCashedUpNomad.com for more posts about the practicalities and the perks of being a nomad working online.
Now you have some ideas on how nomads, like me, have unchained themselves from a stationary job. You can see here what it takes to set yourself up with an online business. Think of the possibilities of combining some adventure with your working life?
Here is a couple of free websites to play with. Let your dream take wings and tell me how you go.
Find out more about Affiliate Marketing here.